So you were going 45 in a 35 on your way to work. You got pulled over, and now you’re stuck with a speeding ticket. How will that impact your car insurance rates? That depends on the state you live in. Your insurer will also focus on:
- How fast you were going. Your rate will be higher if you were going 20 MPH or more over the limit versus if you just went a few miles over.
- Your driving record. If you’ve had accidents or tickets before getting cited, your rate will likely jump a lot.
- The time since your last violation. If you’ve been cited multiple times in the last year, it will go up a lot.
- If it’s your first violation. Some companies won’t raise your rates if it is.
How can I keep it from raising my rate?
- Go to traffic school. In most cases, your can take care of a ticket with a defensive driving course. Then you won’t get any points on your record.
- Contest it in court. If you win, you won’t get the points or have to pay the ticket.
How long will a ticket stay on my record?
It varies by state. It will be on there for just a year in Alaska, Arizona, Maine, Mississippi, Pennsylvania and Wyoming. But it will be on there for 10 years in Hawaii. With most states, though, it’s two to five years.
What’s the point system?
The number of points for a ticket varies by state. It also depends on the seriousness of the infraction. In Utah, going 10 MPH or less over will add 35 points. But going 11 to 20 MPH over is 55 points. The more points you get, the more your rates go up. And if you have too many, your license could be suspended.
Buy a New Chevrolet in Forest Lake, MN
We have tons of 2021 and 2022 Chevrolets for sale in Forest Lake, MN. We also have a full stock of used vehicles from Chevy and other brands. Check them all out on our website. Then come see us in person, and you can test drive all of your favorites. We guarantee we have the lowest prices in the area. We also offer a free Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. No other dealer can match its terms. Check us out near Stacy, Wyoming, and Hugo.
We ship anywhere in the United States.
Get a vehicle with our low prices and free Lifetime Powertrain Warranty* delivered straight to your door.
- Your Car Was Stolen...Now What? January 12, 2022
- 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV Is Ready to Work January 6, 2022
- Reserve Your Chevrolet Silverado EV on January 5th December 29, 2021
*Lifetime Powertrain Warranty available on most pre-owned vehicles and most new Chevrolet vehicles. Not available on new Cadillac vehicles.